Friday, July 24, 2009

Why can't we all be on the same team?

A friend of mine characterized me as a "liberal white cracker" the other day. I know he was just teasing me, but the epithet kind of stung. I don't really think of myself as a liberal. I AM more liberal than many of the people with whom I attended grade school and college, but I'm certainly not a LIBERAL in the purest sense of the word.

If by liberal you mean that I try my best (and admittedly am not always successful) not to judge people by the color of their skin or the religion that they follow or any of the myriad of differences they might have from me, then yes, I'm probably a liberal. If by liberal you mean that I believe that equal rights for all should mean EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL, regardless of race, religion or sexual preference, then yes, I'm probably a liberal. If by liberal you mean that I believe that assault weapons should be banned and there should be more control on the purchase and distribution of handguns because there are those in our society that just can't handle that particular freedom without creating mayhem, destruction and despair, then yes, I'm a liberal.

However, I believe in the death penalty. I think that there are those in our society who need to pay the ultimate price for their flaunting of the 6th commandment. I also believe in the sanctity of life and that abortion should not be used as a form of birth control, that it should be an option only as a last resort when the life of a woman is at stake. And, I believe that government is probably too large and that a closer look needs to be taken at some of the laws we pass that have ridiculous money wasting line items attached.

My point is that there are many folks who find themselves in my position. They can't be a hardline Republican or Democrat really because they see flaws in that blinders-on-don't-look-to-the-left-or-right, line of thinking. There are millions of Americans who are disheartened, even disgusted, by the hatred and hypocrisy that we see in BOTH parties. Many conservatives have a holier-than-thou attitude that is quite off putting...if you don't believe exactly what I believe, you're going straight to hell. Many liberals, on the other hand, are so dead set against the religious right, the hatred in their hearts deafens them to all of the good, reasonable points that the conservatives have to make.

I sit here, in my slightly to the left of center position, and wonder at how my seemingly intelligent, well educated friends from BOTH sides of the aisle put that party hat on and suddenly become rabid, hate mongering radicals of either the left or right. I have had friends from both sides of the aisle express to me that they think America is a great place to live because here we have the FREEDOM to choose our political affiliation, to believe what we choose to believe, to express our beliefs openly without fear of reprisal. But, I believe that what is missing is the true understanding of the fact that your beliefs might not mirror your neighbor's beliefs or your friend's beliefs, but that doesn't make their beliefs any less valid than your own.

Know what you believe, defend what you believe if you must, but when we're here together, in our own country, in the comfort of our own every day lives, do it with a calm and open heart. You might be surprised at the simple truths and common ground that you uncover.

And, don't call me a "liberal white cracker". After all, I have never called you a "stuffy, arrogant, conservative nose picker", have I?

1 comment:

  1. Hear, hear! What's with the stupid labeling. There are endless combinations of beliefs. Maybe Texas is especially bad for the "which one are you" speculations.

    ReplyDelete